Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Info on IYE dinghy rudders

More
4 years 9 months ago#3070by Marcia Fletcher
Info on IYE dinghy rudders was created by Marcia Fletcher
I am wanting some advice on the rigging of my rudder - ie the control lines.  I can't find IYE, its maker, on line anywhere.  Perhaps this company has gone out of business...

The issue is probably very easy to resolve but I just wanted a picture of the rudder to check the lines against.

Last Wednesday the rudder kept coming up whilst sailing which was really annoying.  I think I know why but just wanted to check.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago#3071by Alistair Glen
Replied by Alistair Glen on topic Info on IYE dinghy rudders
Hi Marcia,

IYE rudder stocks haven't been available for a few years now; mostly superseded by CeeVee and RWO versions. 

Was the problem that the downhaul wasn't keeping the blade down or that the rope kept slipping/coming out of the cleat? As I remember, the downhaul line on the IYE rudder stock went from the front of the head of the rudder blade, over the top of the blade, out of the back of the stock to a pulley, over the pulley and then fed through the aft end of the tiller and out to a cleat further forward. It was a right faff and most people kept the whole thing bolted together and only took it apart if absolutely necessary.

If you can take a photo of the offending item and post it on here, or send it to Moira's email, I'm sure we can work out what's going wrong.

Alistair

More
4 years 9 months ago#3073by Simon deeks
Replied by Simon deeks on topic Info on IYE dinghy rudders
Marcia, the club training wayfarers have iye that work , worth a look next time your down.

Simon

More
4 years 9 months ago#3074by Julian & Margarette Parlett
Replied by Julian & Margarette Parlett on topic Info on IYE dinghy rudders
Hello Marcia,

I bought some IYE rigging parts two years ago from:-

www.proboat.co.uk/manufacturer.asp?brand=6&prefix=it

and

www.southernriggingsupplies.co.uk/travel...-and-stops-588-c.asp

I hope that this might be of some use to you.  So far as I am aware they are still trading!

Best wishes,

Julian

More
4 years 9 months ago#3077by Marcia Fletcher
Replied by Marcia Fletcher on topic Info on IYE dinghy rudders
Thanks Simon will do

More
4 years 9 months ago#3079by Marcia Fletcher
Replied by Marcia Fletcher on topic Info on IYE dinghy rudders
Hi Alistair

Yes the down haul wasn't keeping the blade down which  kept popping up.  

I also found that the locking mechanism was stuck so wasn't clicking into the locked blade down position.

I have given this a clean and bought some new rope to give it a try out tomorrow night at the club. 

Yes the rope route you describe was how mine was set up but I was a bit confused about the route through the pully.  I'll take some pics and send them via Moira's email and thanks for the input.