Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

helping crew for a wayfarer

More
4 years 9 months ago#3086by Didier croze
helping crew for a wayfarer was created by Didier croze
Good morning all, as a new member to the club I wanted to introduce myself.
My name is Didier Croze, in my 60 and I  am a new member with a new wayfarer.
I have never sail in star cross before and never with a small boat before.
Lot of experience with large sailing boat thought
Was looking for someone to going out sailing with, to get advice and general help really as I am not at all familiar with the estuary.
I am easy going and love sailing.
Thanks to email me, if you are interested on didiercroze@

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago#3099by Andrew Kewell
Replied by Andrew Kewell on topic helping crew for a wayfarer
Hi Didier. I'll come out with you soon. I'm away in Norfolk at the moment but will be back next week. You can contact me on [email protected]  (sorry I couldn't see your complete e-mail address).
Andrew

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago#3103by Julian & Margarette Parlett
Replied by Julian & Margarette Parlett on topic helping crew for a wayfarer
Hello Didier,

Welcome to SYC.  It will be lovely to see you taking part in our sailing programme.

There are a couple of good opportunities for sailing this week with a safety boat in attendance keeping a look out for any problems:-

1.  Tomorrow (Wednesday) evening, 18:30 on the water, there is a dinghy cruise down river to Dawlish Warren.  Several SYC dinghies will be taking part sailing about an hour or slightly less each way with a brief stop at Dawlish Warren which is close to the mouth of the estuary.  There will be a safety boat accompanying this.  Also, being low tide, there will be a good opportunity to see how the river channel runs through the sandbanks, something that is not so obvious when the tide is in.  To take part you need to be rigged and ready to go by 18:30.

2.  Next Saturday afternoon (13th July, starting at 3.30pm) the club is having an open day when potential members will have the opportunity to try dinghy sailing.  In addition and at the same time there is a "free sailing" session for members and a safety boat will be on the water keeping watch for anyone having problems.   There are bound to be several members around who will be only too pleased to accompany you in your Wayfarer if you just turn up and introduce yourself.

We look forward to meeting you.

Best wishes

Julian & Margarette
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Julian & Margarette Parlett. Reason: clarifing date

More
4 years 9 months ago#3104by Didier croze
Replied by Didier croze on topic helping crew for a wayfarer
Hi and thank you for your welcome
I don't think the wind be there tomorrow evening, I wonder if some people use small outboard as a back up plan, when going cruising as the tide and wind can be against you.
I m not sure for tomorrow evening, and Saturday can't make it, very busy day at work.

More
4 years 9 months ago#3105by Julian & Margarette Parlett
Replied by Julian & Margarette Parlett on topic helping crew for a wayfarer
Hello,
Yes, a small outboard can be carried in a Wayfarer but it wouldn't be necessary for a short trip such as this.  As for the wind forecast for tomorrow (Wednesday), yes, it should be very light, which is probably ideal for a first outing in a new boat.  The sail has been arranged so that on the way down the river, the tide will be with us and we should reach Dawlish Warren at about low tide.  After a short wait, the tide will turn and be with us again on the way back.  In addition there will be a safety boat available to assist anyone having difficulty getting back.
Best wishes,
Julian

More
4 years 9 months ago#3109by Didier croze
Replied by Didier croze on topic helping crew for a wayfarer
Good morning to all

I will like to thanks everyone for the late night cruise yesterday, I was a bit apprehensive as it was the first one , it went very well even my wife enjoyed it! And that a first, she have not been on a boat since 1980.
Big thanks for the welcome and the help to pull away from the sand bank.
We will be back.