Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Steamer Full Results

More
4 years 2 months ago#3536by Mark Elkington
Steamer Full Results was created by Mark Elkington
The full results are up on the website under the Opens option in the racing menu.

Apologies for not getting them out yesterday - but there were a few little niggles I had to resolve and I didn't want to push them out without having a chance to review them carefully. Trying to find out what happened to nearly 80 boats, finishing in four different locations, is always a little challenging.

From the results perspective - thankyou to everyone helped make it happen:
  • The combined reception, race starting, and lap recording team - club juniors (and a couple of grey hairs!) doing a great job.  I didn't find a single inconsistent record.
  • The finish line recorders in the RIBS - thanks for having handwriting that is significantly more legible than mine
  • and finally to the SSW tracking team - their data was priceless in helping me resolve the "niggles" 
The club owes a great deal of thanks to John Donovan for organising the event so successfully for so many years.  

cheers

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago#3537by stephen harling
Replied by stephen harling on topic Steamer Full Results
Hi Mark .Are the results on club racing results ? Steve 

More
4 years 2 months ago#3539by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic Steamer Full Results
They are now Steve

More
4 years 2 months ago#3541by Robin Charles
Replied by Robin Charles on topic Steamer Full Results
Can I add my thanks to John and the entire team for a great event.
Robin Charles  Vice Commodore

More
4 years 2 months ago#3572by Nigel Skudder
Replied by Nigel Skudder on topic Steamer Full Results
At the end of the race James and I in Hornet 2160 were in 6th place, behind Figs in the RS 400 but ahead of the other 400 and the B14. Boats around us knew the finish positions because it was noted as such. However both of the above boats shortly overtook us because they were faster and blanketed us from behind. For this reason, and others, we decided that sailing another half an hour downwind in a dying breeze and then having to sail back against the tide would not be sensible and take probably another 3/4 hour or more. The results of the race would have potentially been delayed. Therefore we sailed in, knowing the tracker would record the positions, only to be advised later that our result would not be counted. I accepted this but have subsequently found out that the finishing positions of other boats, that did not sail to a finish line either, have been given either by the tracker or observers from the race box etc noting positions at the finish. I've heard this from Dick, Tim, Figs etc parties. Whilst I accepted that our result may not be counted I did not likewise expect other non formal finishers to be treated any differently! Not the fault of the results observers but rather an interpretation of what determined the finish, what was sensible given the conditions and consistency of interpretation as to what or who determines an actual finishing position. Just a thought? Thank you.

• Franco Marenco
4 years 2 months ago#3582by Franco Marenco
Replied by Franco Marenco on topic Steamer Full Results
Nigel, I suppose you could check what was written in the Sailing Instructions (I don't have them).

This is event was brilliantly organised as always, unfortunately the conditions were hard due to the (lack of) breeze. I could just make a little suggestion: if boats could be helped understand when they have been finished using a hoot or a voice hail from the rescue boat, to avoid remaining adrift for a long time without knowing what to do next.... Thanks!