Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

RE Advice needed regarding boat

More
3 years 10 months ago#3844by Sarah Peat
RE Advice needed regarding boat was created by Sarah Peat
Hello  

I have a family of 5 My wife and I, and  18Month old, and 8 and 10 year old boys  who are with me irregularly - but are moving to exeter in July.

We are considering getting a family membership, acquiring a large dinghy (wayfarer sized is what I was thinking) and undertaking training.

I have sailed in the past (I was a dinghy racer in Brixham), but it's been many years.

But my family have not. My goal would be to put together  recommendations on boat choices,

Sorry to be a pain, but I would really appreciate your recommendations!

kind regards,
Joel Stobart

Please reply to this post and I will forward on the suggestions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago#3845by Alistair Glen
Replied by Alistair Glen on topic RE Advice needed regarding boat
Hi Sarah,

You may already have made these observations to Joel but I'd seriously think about doing things in a different order...get some training and then decide what sort/size of boat he wants to get. He might find himself with a boat he doesn't want/need otherwise. A Wayfarer is a big old lump if he is pulling it up the slope with his wife. How often, realistically, is he going to want to stick all five of them in the boat at the same time? A Wanderer might be plenty big enough, or maybe a Gull if it was going to be Joel +1 most of the time.

Regards

Alistair 

More
3 years 10 months ago#3849by Bill King
Replied by Bill King on topic RE Advice needed regarding boat
Hi, just join the club do some training or refresher courses along with hiring the club boats, toppers,lasers,double handed and a catamaran.Also volunteer to crew for people either racing or on the dinghy cruise, then make a choice.Enjoy Bill.

More
3 years 10 months ago#3854by Paul Kelley
Replied by Paul Kelley on topic RE Advice needed regarding boat
Hi Joel, firstly, we would love for you and your family to join Starcross . You will be assured of a warm and friendly reception and as you have read, all members would and will be only to pleased to help and guide you in way - ashore and afloat . My immediate, personal recommendation, would be a Comet Trio - they are light and reasonably fast with an asymmetric kite for easy use . The club has three Comet Trios for hire by club members and so would suggest taking one of these out for session, on a “Free Sailing“ day, when there will be safety cover on standby if required along with a safety lookout in the race box . Two of our members regularly sail their Wayfarer and so I am sure they would be delighted to talk Wayfarer sailing with you Joel . There is a “ Free Sailing “ session planned for this wknd, so pop down and have a chat with other members . Bring your kit as who knows, you might get a sail - details on home page . We do have a club Training Officer and so recommend having a chat with him too . 

Always happy to help in anyway and hope to see you there soon,

Paul .

More
3 years 10 months ago#3855by Julie croze
Replied by Julie croze on topic RE Advice needed regarding boat
Good morning Sarah

Me too got 3 older kids and bought  2 years ago after lot of research a larger dinghy.
I choose a Wayfarer Cruiser
 which I order directly, after choosing all options I needed, from Hartley factory.
British build, they are very stable, take up to 6 people, weight only 130kg, use for training in the navy and all the people at the factory are very nice and helpful.
They do have used one too all serviced.
Google it and ave a look.
Hope that help
Good sailing 
Attachments:

More
3 years 10 months ago#3856by Roger Moseley
Replied by Roger Moseley on topic RE Advice needed regarding boat
Hi Joel,
I wouldn’t recommend buying anything shiny just yet. Try out the hire fleet (dinghies and catamaran), crew for members, when permitted (cruising or racing perhaps).
Training is good idea - be sure to learn good seamanship skills. You clearly know about big waters (Brixham) , plus the Exe has tidal streams which can be quite strong, especially in the lower reaches.
Many people will sing the praises of this or that dinghy, but best to take your time. I came to the Exe12+ years ago and enjoy sailing a boat that wasn’t even on my short list back then!
By the way, your children may want to helm a single-hander before long...
We look forward to welcoming you to the club. Whatever you and your family do, enjoy your sailing and stay safe.
Best wishes
Roger