Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change

More
5 years 9 months ago#2141by Mark Elkington
Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change was created by Mark Elkington
Hi - we are looking for "user" feedback on the proposed new fleet structure for the club series racing as described in the website article ( Click here for the article )

We would welcome any comments you may have - including suggestions for other fleet structures. The earliest any changes might be introduced is the Autumn Series

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago#2142by Grant Boorer
Replied by Grant Boorer on topic Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change
The number of RS200s has reduced dramatically over the last few years. With the proposals I think you will find that the number of double-handed boats in the slow handicap will be very low, as it is at the moment on Wednesday evenings. I have found that sometimes I am in the only double-handed boat. In view of this I would prefer to be in the asymmetric class, as was done in the past, so we can see how we perform against similar types of boats.

More
5 years 9 months ago#2143by Jonathan Carr
Replied by Jonathan Carr on topic Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change
Hi
This is not going to be very helpful! But when I can sail my 200 I do quite enjoy the round the cans courses, it is always frustrating to be in a minority of one whatever fleet or class you are in...the answer is to get more boats out! Maybe a compromise of upwind down wind on a wednesday and round the cans at the weekends! The 200 is considerably slower than the 800/B14's and is likely to be lapped in longer asymetric races. It would be interesting to hear Charlottes views and any other 200 owners

More
5 years 9 months ago#2144by Alistair Glen
Replied by Alistair Glen on topic Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change
Since the Aero 9's PY dropped to 1019 it puts them in the Fast Fleet. I know that 1020 is a nice round number but it might be an idea (or courtesy) to ask Mark, Richard, Greg, et al, if they would prefer to be in the Fast or Slow Fleets. Selfishly, I would like to see them in the Singlehanded/Slow fleet unless they have a strong preference to chase the Merlins and Hornets.

More
5 years 9 months ago#2150by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change
Thanks Alistair - I hadn't spotted that the Aero9 had slipped under the 1020 barrier (which given I sit on the RYA's handicap panel is probably a bit remiss of me ;-). The intent was certainly to include the Aero 9s in the slow handicap fleet.

If the Sailing Committee decides to proceed with the proposal I'll probably express the thresholds as Aero-9 or slower so that we don't have to keep chagning the SIs as the handicaps get tweaked each year..

More
5 years 9 months ago#2169by Bob Beare
Replied by Bob Beare on topic Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change
Hi Mark,

I was the laser blasting around on my own in champagne conditions 6 weeks ago.In that instance,
I would have definitely benefited from being in handicap instead!

Recalling a while back when lasers were in slow handicap, there is one issue with pointing characteristics of the laser and two-sailed boats (e.g. Wayfarer). A laser can get a better upwind start, but can get rolled by a two-sailed boat with comparable PY by being able to point higher. I doubt there is a solution, but this was one technical benefit of having our own start (or possibly a single-hander start).

The decline in the laser fleet may have two contributors. Firstly, in recent times the average age has got higher, and those of us in that bracket are only able to commit intermittently. Secondly, and related, there is significantly less feed from junior/youth ages (which relates to another post). With a bit of experience, these guys normally become the fastest in the fleet, so should be encouraged
to join in.

Hope that helps.

Bob Beare
Laser 200838