Next weekend the club is taking a tentative first step towards restarting sailing activities with free sailing sessions scheduled on Saturday and Sunday (30/31st May) with the aim of testing procedures to allow us all to participate safely in these activities during the pandemic - yeah!.
The trial sailing periods will be from 12:00 until 14:00 on Saturday and 13:00 - 15:00 on Sunday. Details on future events including duty allocations will be posted on the regular Programme page. The nominated OOD for each day will make the final decision on whether the conditions are suitable for sailing. A Beachmaster has also been nominated for each day and their job is to control the launch and recovery of the dinghies and safety boats while maintaining social distancing. Please follow their instructions.
One important aspect of the trial is the launching and recovery of the safety boats. A procedure has been documented and tested that should allow five people to safely launch and recover a boat. If you are asked by the Beachmaster to help with this, please follow the instructions you are given. The documented procedure is available for download HERE.
A short set of Instructions for Sailors has also been produced - it is available for download HERE. We have kept these instructions as short as possible, relying mostly on your common sense to do the right thing, specifically:
- Maintain a 2m distance from everyone apart from cohabiting family members at all times.
- Wash/sanitise your hands regularly
- Wearing a mask while onshore is not mandatory but may help to protect others.
The specific sailing-related instructions are, in summary:
- Check the SYC website before traveling to the club in case the free sailing session has been cancelled
- Drive to and from the club in your sailing gear (or be prepared to change in the car park).
- The toilets will be open - but you should assume none of the other onshore facilities will be available.
- If this is your first sail this year - please do a detailed maintenance check on your boat.
- Rig your boat as completely as possible in your berth.
- Do not enter the entire rigging/launching area with your boat until there is space for you to do so safely. Boats berthed to the north of the boathouse should try to use the north slipway.
- On returning to the shore - return to your berth as soon as possible. No more than two boats in the wash down areas at the top of each slipway at any one time.
Take care and have a good sail.