Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Leisure Sailing Registration Problem.

More
2 years 10 months ago#5213by Alistair Glen
Leisure Sailing Registration Problem. was created by Alistair Glen
Hi Mark...for it is always you!

We registered for a 'personal cruising' session this morning in the Merlin (3616) and when I came to click the box to show we had returned it showed a fault message - something like 'Database access error' - and the system probably shows us as still being afloat. Does it generate a warning message if somebody is potentially overdue? I suppose it should for it to have much value. Anyway, I don't know whether the fact that I was doing this on an iphone had anything to do with it?  We had a very enjoyable blast up and down the estuary and are now having tea and crumpets (honestly!).

Alistair

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago#5217by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic Leisure Sailing Registration Problem.
Sounds like t'internet was down or the router in the race box was turned off.  The system needs to access a server somewhere out in web land.  Aidan is doing a survey of internet outages at the moment - while Aidan and BT seem to have solved the lengthy outages, there are still some drop outs of a few seconds to a couple of minutes.  Did you by any chance "try again later"?.  I am still trying to decide whether to install all the new software to run on a server in the racebox or leave it on the internet. For many reasons I'd prefer the latter - but if that causes a problem with access I may need to reconsider.

The system as it stands at the moment was simply designed to provide a replacement for the camera system in recording boats being used.  The idea was to be able to make the berthmasters job at bit easier when trying to work out which boats are being used (and therefore who should keep their berth).  I only put the return logging in to see if people thought it might be a good idea.  I could of course add something to report who has not logged a return - but I guess we are likely to get massively more instances of forgetfulness compared to emergencies.  If anyone has suggestions for other things we might add (e.g. looking for opportunities for potential buddy sailing) - I'll take a look at what could be done when I have finished the current projects.  

More
2 years 10 months ago#5218by Alistair Glen
Replied by Alistair Glen on topic Leisure Sailing Registration Problem.
Morning Mark,

I tried again on the iPhone but the error message was all I got when I went into the Leisure Sailing Registration page. I couldn't generate a new entry and then close that down to see if it cleared the problem. When I went into the page on my Mac at home I just got the start-up page with no error messages.

I agree that the system would probably generate so many 'false alarms' that it could become a bit of a nightmare but it might be reassuring to some to know that the system could summon help if necessary.

More
2 years 10 months ago#5220by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic Leisure Sailing Registration Problem.
Hmm that's odd.  Anybody else had the same problem with an iPhone (or with the Apple browser)?.

We will be installing a tablet in the porch next to boat house some time this summer - so that will provide an alternative device at the club.