Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Exe Sails & Covers Starcross Steamer 2024

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago#7519by Derek Hathaway
Exe Sails & Covers Starcross Steamer 2024 was created by Derek Hathaway
I've put together a quick drone video of the Steamer race today. It's a quick edit for the benefit of SYC members via the link below. I'm not checked out how to embed it on the web site so for now you'll need to cut and paste the link into a browser. Feel free to share the link with others - it's not currently on public viewing - I'll look at that and other options tomorrow - I just thought I would get it out quickly while the memories are fresh! (oh it's embedded itself!!)

Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Derek Hathaway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago#7520by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic Exe Sails & Covers Starcross Steamer 2024
Hi Derek

That is really good.  We missed two boats in the results and I found one of them in your video close to where they finished - very useful.

Do you think it would be possible to fly the drone right down the finish line(s) for the whole fleet at a fixed height a bit lower than most of your video - so that we can use it as a second check on the results.  The key thing would be making the "finish fly through" accessible to the racebox for viewing within about 30 minutes of the finish.  Would be really neat if we could add this to our armoury for getting the results out.

regards

Mark

More
2 months 3 weeks ago#7521by Ben Cutler-Sharp
Replied by Ben Cutler-Sharp on topic Exe Sails & Covers Starcross Steamer 2024
Thank you Derek Great Job!!

More
2 months 3 weeks ago#7525by Paul Kelley
Replied by Paul Kelley on topic Exe Sails & Covers Starcross Steamer 2024
Very many thanks again Derek ! 

Easy to see where I went wrong now ( ha ha ) !

Paul .

More
2 months 3 weeks ago#7529by Derek Hathaway
Replied by Derek Hathaway on topic Exe Sails & Covers Starcross Steamer 2024
Thank you for your kind words Mark.

The use of the drone to check position of boats immediately afterwards is I fear not really practical. The problems would be 2 fold. Firstly unless the stream of finishing boats were in a straight line it would be very difficult (at least with my limited flying skills) to fly over the boats at the finish. On Sunday the finish occurred just after a ?W? shape course which would need some very deft drone handling. Secondly to view the video clearly it would need to be downloaded from the drone to a laptop to view on a larger screen. That would take some minutes to do. Bringing the drone back to land getting to a laptop and downloading and viewing within 30mins would be very challenging.

I’m happy to discuss further but at present it seems a solution just out of reach!